Segment Four, Part One
Lessons about the Flesh in the Christian Life from Galatians 5:16-24
- The flesh is still present after salvation. The Christian has two natures: flesh and spirit. (v. 16)
- The flesh is an enemy within. (v. 17) God leaves the flesh within the Christian to teach believers to walk by faith and not by sight.
- The flesh is never eradicated in this life. There is no sinless perfection in the Christian life. (1 John 1:8,10) An experience of spirit baptism or entire sanctification is never given as the solution to the problem of sin. (1 Pet. 2:1-2)
- The Christian can choose to walk in either the flesh or the Spirit. (v. 16)
- There are two aspects of the flesh: position (v. 24) and practice (v.25).
Additional reading: Colossians 3:9-10 versus Ephesians 4:22-24; and Romans 8:9 versus Romans 8:12-13.
Segment Four, Part Two
How is the flesh overcome?
- The flesh is subdued by yielding to and walking with the indwelling Spirit. (Gal. 5:16)
- The flesh is subdued by not minding it but by minding the things of the Spirit. (Rom. 8:5)
- The flesh is subdued by not sowing to it but by sowing to the Spirit. (Gal. 6:8)
- The flesh is subdued by not making provision for it. (Rom. 13:14)
Some key Bible passages that deal with sin:
Gen. 3; 6:5; Exodus 20; Isaiah 53:6; Jeremiah 17:9; Ezekiel 18:4, 20; Mark 7:20-23; Romans 1:9-32; 3:9-23; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-20; Ephesians 5:3-6; Colossians 3:5-10; 1 Timothy 1:9-11; Revelation 21:8.
Segment Four, Part Three
This post will close our review of the doctrine of sin. The words listed below are used is scripture and may be a synonym for sin. Use this list to do your own self guided examination for what can be called sin. Pray and ask God to help you understand these words and how they are used.
Other words used in the Bible for Sin:
Evil (Gen. 2:9)
Wickedness (Gen. 6:5)
Iniquity (2 Peter 2:16)
Rebellion (Proverbs 17:11)
Unrighteous (1 Co. 6:9)
Unholy (Lev. 10:10)
Ungodly (Romans 1:27)
Works of darkness (Eph. 5:11)
Error (Romans 1:27)
Transgression (Romans 4:15; 2 John 9)
Trespass (Mt. 18:15)
Offense (Romans 4:25)